Thursday 22 June 2017

Book Review: Dark Lover by J.R. Ward (The Black Dagger Brotherhood #1)


Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: Dark Lover

Author: J.R. Ward

Publication Date: 6 September 2005

Publisher: Penguin Group (USA)







Summary:


In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Yet none of them relishes killing more than Wrath, the leader of The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

The only purebred vampire left on earth, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But, when one of his most trusted fighters is killed-leaving his half-breed daughter unaware of his existence or her fate-Wrath must usher her into the world of the undead-a world of sensuality beyond her wildest dreams.


My Thoughts:


Okie, Dokie, I finally got into J.R. Ward's books, and that was because of some weird circumstances at the apartment that my brother and I were staying for a weekend holiday! I always have loved paperbacks more than e-books, but the truth is right now, my own library is 70% e-books as it is easier for me to bring my iPad everywhere I go rather than a suitcase of books. However, on the beach or poolside I always fancy the paperback. However, we are not talking about my tastes in the book editions, but about how I got today's book. Let's be honest, I have never taken a book from the library without returning it, and trust me, I had all intentions of returning this one back on the shelf, but when I saw that it was pretty much untouched. Only first few pages were read, and the reader had no idea what a bookmark is, I had to rescue it. Therefore, now this book resides in my collection, and other books are coming on the way... (my grandma is having a heart attack she has no idea where to put my books, then again, she was the one to tell me to bring them over to my family house until I find my own place and settle down).

Sorry, for all of the above and let me start the actual review. I liked the book, okay, I loved it, otherwise, I wouldn't have abandoned finishing reached by Ally Condie and started this one. But there was something that just didn't sit right with me. Don't ask me, I can't explain it, not matter how I tried. I loved all characters and am seriously looking forward to the Zsadist's story. I had lots of fun with the names of warriors, even my 6-year-old brother got the humour after I explained it to him. I just had one prblem: Darius? Really? A perfectly normal name when other have names such as Rhage or Visious? Confused the hell out of me, but then again it was good. I liked how the characters were interacting. true Wrath was a bit too touchy-feely in some parts but then I let it slide taking in account what he went through. Though I really hoped Scribe Virgin would give him the sight forever, but we might get to see it. Another thing I do not know if I understood it, but I truly hope the Epilogue was what it should have been, a hint where to find Darius, or better said he's reincarnation.

Overall, this story was fantastically written, with witty humor and dialogues and some nice romance. Not too much was exposed in words and that left the untold for us to imagine and fantasise  about. Get to know the chraacters that you'll fall in love with and find yourslef in the war between the vampires and slayers. If I thought the vampire stories couldn't entertain me anymore, trust me I was wrong! I'm off to my favourite bookshop to read the second book, the teaser sent shivers all over me! Enjoy it to your fullest and don;t orget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviees as well a promos. Don't miss your next favourite book or manga! Happpy reading!

XOXO

Katie 

My Rating:






No comments:

Post a Comment