Monday 23 November 2015

Manga Review: The One by Nicky Lee




Title: The One
Original Title: The One 
Author: Nicky Lee
Artist: Nicky Lee

Year of Release: 2006
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Mature, Psychological, Romance, Shoujo, Slice of Life

Status: Completed
Chapters (Translated in English): 110

Volumes & Chapters: 

18 Volumes in Total


Summary


Cane Lele was born into the fashion industry. Her mother, Ye Fei Yi, was Taiwan's top model, and her father was also a model, until a tragic airplane crash left Lele without parents. Therefore, it is no surprise that Lele hates the industry, thinking it superficial and unnecessary.

Raised by her maternal grandmother, Lele reaches seventeen before she is sucked in by her mother's sister, Ye Fei Hong, a fashion model agent (and former model), convinces the reluctant Lele to model. Lele had been adverse to the whole idea, until she sees a photo shoot of popular American model Angus Lanson, and she begins to see modeling as an art form.

When Aunt Fei Hong's magazine editor invites Angus Lanson to a meeting of all the top fashion ambassadors, Lele is invited to meet him and is very curious. She does not know that Angus' twin elder brother, Eros Lanson, is secretly accompanying his brother. This obviously leads to confusion and is the start of a charming story of Lele's goals: fashion in NYC, becoming a top model, and love?


My Thoughts


Review covers 110 chapters 

Hi, everyone and welcome back to Katie’s Corner! Today I’m covering the work that always makes me feel motivated to work toward my goal. It’s actually the second one that I have such urge, another work is Skip beat! Whenever I read those works I am always full of first great emotions and secondly motivation to work harder. I’ll be reviewing Skip Beat very soon; I just need to organize myself as to how I review it. But let me get back to this story. It is my third time reading it, and actually it was Mars, that made me realize that I wanted to reread it. How so? Well, it was because in the similar manga section they had this one so I said: hey, why not reread and write a review too?”

As I have already mentioned I’ve read this story three times, and well, I was engrossed I it all three times. It didn’t matter that I knew what was going to happen, I was just savoring the moment of reading about my favoruite characters again. I loved all of them; some were plain idiots in some parts like Angus with his love for his brother and how he became a koala every time he hugged him. It’s hilarious! Lil is an amazing character; I really loved her from the bottom of my heart. I loved how she was strong one minute and fragile the next. And I just loved the banter between her and Eros (or Silver eyed monster as she called him). They are about 3 years part but Eros looks so much older wen he first appeared. And come on his hoboing style of life was just too fun to read about. The story starts on a good note, but as soon as it progresses, comes in the element of real life, that everything is not as happy as it can be, that there are also sad parts in our life.

As I have already mentioned I really loved Lil as a character. Life threw at her many problems, but she always came out strong. And that is one of the reason I loved her. She showed me that if you wanted something you had to fight for it. Would it be your career of your love. And trust me she fought to be acknowledged and loved. Another thing is with Eros. I knew that he looked at Lil differently from the time he her grandma, ad I was like looking forward for him to acknowledge his feelings. It was really fun watching how he was fussing around her, but wen he breaks he heart and he did that a number of time it makes your heart break into million of pieces. And when you actually look back and see that nearly all of the heart beaks were because of his brother you just can’t not take Lil’s side when she conforms the siblings about the truth. But well everything ends well, or relatively well, because all of the characters are left with scars and some have more visible than the others.

I remember when I first wanted to start this story I was quite reluctant, it’s about models and its quite long 18 volumes (110 chapters). I knew that modeling was not the easy job, or I heart it was so, but after reading this story I started looking at models a but differently, mostly it was because of Lil, because she was feisty and she didn’t want to be one in the very beginning, but when she started she gave her all to her work, ad you just want to admire her. It’s not easy to make the picture look animated, but when I was looking at Lil cat walk I actually could see how she walked. And it was breathtaking.

Well, I guess I’ve been taking quite a lot, but with such an intense story there’s so much t talk about. Are you ready to get lost in the model world? But don’t forget that it won’t be just parties and fame. You’ll see how the models need to work to achieve their dreams, and there will be some secrets that will make your mid go crazy. Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos. Don’t miss your next favoruite book or manga! Happy reading!

XOXO

Katie 

Rating



No comments:

Post a Comment