Tuesday 29 September 2015

Book Review: The Great Apocalypse by Daniel Thompson (Sparlock of the Multiverse #1)




Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: The Great Apocalypse

Author: Daniel Thompson 

Publication Date: 14 July 2015

Publisher: Pair O'Dimes Prodctions LLC

GoodreadsAmazon – Barnes & Noble






Summary:



Thomas Adams is a talented editor for a major New York book publisher. He lived quietly until a beautiful forensic psychologist came into his life. When she disappears under mysterious circumstances, he becomes obsessed with unraveling a "story" that unites the Bible, a lost masterpiece by Hieronymus Bosch, Jewish legends, apocryphal literature, fairy tales, forgotten Gnostic heresies, end time predictions of nineteenth century apocalyptic sects, and even a religious propaganda film for children. 

The story that begins to unfold is too fantastic to believe, but it contains a strange internal logic. Thomas becomes convinced that the key to solving this mystery involves an ancient purple-clad rebel from Jewish legend. Then he discovers an obscure reference from a second-century bishop mentioning a claim that this same rebel escaped the wrath of God when the Goddess Sophia carried him away.

Thomas' investigation takes a sinister turn when elements of the "story" begin to play out in real life. He uncovers clues that indicate a Great Apocalypse is imminent. A countdown has begun, and Thomas must confront a greater threat than he ever imagined.


The first book of the Sparlock Trilogy is an intriguing exploration of our history and myths, our shared dreams and nightmares. It examines the hidden meaning behind the stories we tell our children and the lies we sometimes tell ourselves.


My Thoughts:


Hello, everyone and welcome back to Katie’s Corner! Do you enjoy apocryphal literature? Are you Dan Brown books fan? If all those applied to you, then you will love this book! Enjoy the complex story that combines present, Bible stories, Jewish mysticism's and much more.

I enjoyed the book a lot. It hooked me up from the prologue, and I didn’t want to put it down. As soon as I read started it I knew that I would fall in love with, the way the author builds up the tension by starting the story in a hospital and describing the mysterious drawings on the wall. However, right after that we are plunged in a modern life crisis. It was interesting to read about how Mr. Thompson saw the life. He mixes mostly everything into this book: there are Biblical stories, Jewish legends, fairy tales, time theories, some audacious theses. I have always prided myself for knowing mostly every legend and fairy tale, but here I had to come around some that I have never read about.

Another thing that I enjoyed while reading this book is the way Thompson uses art in his novel. I had to look up the drawings so I could see what the characters were seeing. Even though some may find the whole economic talk boring and confusing, for me it was very interesting as I am an economics bachelor. Meet our main character – Thomas Adams. Unlike every other similar character in the same genre books, he’s a great one and the way author describes him makes you want to know more about him as well as the world he builds.

Don’t forget that this is only the first book in the series. I am very interested to know what happens in the next one. Did I get you interested? Then it’s time to grab your copy right now! Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos. Don’t miss your next favourite book or manga! Happy reading!

XOXO


Katie

My Rating:





No comments:

Post a Comment