Monday 7 December 2015

Manga Review : Yona of the Dawn by Kusanagi Mizuho



Title: Yona of the Dawn 
Original Title: Akatsuki no Yona 
Author: Kusanagi Mizuho
Artist: Kusanagi Mizuho

Year of Release: 2009
Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Harem, Romance, Psychological, Shoujo

Status: Ongoing 
Chapters (Translated in English): 108

Volumes & Chapters: 

18 Volumes, Ongoing


Summary

Yona is the sole princess of the kingdom, living the luxurious and carefree life as a princess should. She has it all: the finest clothes and cosmetics, the most divine sweets, a loving emperor as a father, and the hottest cousin crush, Soo-won, anyone could ever hope to have. Now, if only her bodyguard, Son Hak, wasn't so annoying to her and her hair wasn't so red.

But her nearly perfect world quickly shatters as the man she loves, Soo-won, murders her father and the path to his ascension to the throne is assured. Son Hak escapes with Yona, and they lead a life on the run from that point on.


My Thoughts


Review covers 100 chapters 

Hello everyone and welcome back to Katie’s Corner! Today I have one of the mangas that is ongoing and will be ongoing for a long time. I mean now that I’m writing this review it’s the end of August, but now that it’s going live it should be either November or December. Ah, so it’s December. Well, let me end this reminiscence about time and get back to the review.

Let’s say this: currently (at the time of me writing the review) there are 100+ chapters and 17 complete volumes. We’ve proceeded into the story a lot, but at the same time we know very little about every character. To say the truth I wanted to write the review when it all ended, but I thought better of it, then I had another idea. Divide it into sections, and I’ll have about 4 reviews right now. But in the end as soon as I unraveled a major secret that has been bothering me for the last maybe 50 chapters, I had this inspiration to share this amazing work with you. I will try to minimize the spoilers and focus solely on the feelings that I had when reading this story. Okay, first confession time. I might have missed this fabulous manga if it wasn’t adapted as an anime in winter 2015. I think it was then maybe it was fall 214. And let’s say that I got impatient and started reading ahead before the anime finished airing. So as always I was spoiling all the fun for my otaku friends and myself. But you’re interested in this, right? Sorry for getting distracted all the time.

The story will follow a 16-year-old princess named Yona. Due to a lot of circumstance, mainly her coursing – Soo-Won – killing her father and taking his place as the king. Yona and Hak (that’s the general of wind tribe and Yona’s and Soo-Won’s childhood friend) go into hiding. They travel to find a prophet so Yona can find her path. She does, she will have to go on a journey to find the 4 descendants of dragons, and so they help her achieve her goals. What are her goals? Well, that’s for you to find out. As there will be many adventures on her quest first to find 4 dragons and then to achieve her goal. The story has many adventures and it covers many life problems. Every new chapter has something new to give us. It teaches us of honor, friendship, goals and many more. Every character is interesting in its own way. We still have a lot to learn about everyone. Many more secrets need to be unraveled and many misunderstandings to be fixed.

Now let’s move on a bit. If you’re looking for something romantic you’ll be a bit disappointed. There are some moments, but not so many to categorize this manga as shoujo and romance as its first and main genres. Ii may be wrong with shoujo, as for the time being it is a shoujo manga due to the main character still being a girl – Yona. Who am I rooting for as a love interest for Yona? For sure Hak, but if you are a fan of series, tell me which team you are in too! If you’re new to this manga, read it! It’s fantastic and you’ll love everything there: characters, plot, character and plot development, action and so many adventures that you’ll find yourself sucked into it in no time.

Are you ready to finally find out what Zeno’s ability is? I nearly died of shock when I saw what he could do. It’s fantastic I mean it. Your blood will boil, your imagination will work in overdrive and I believe you’ll love it! So what are you waiting for? My next review for this manga will be either when something shocking happens, it will reach 200 chapters and will still be ongoing or will finish. Depends on my mood. Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviews as well promos. Don’t miss your next favourite book or manga! Happy reading!

XOXO

Katie

Rating


No comments:

Post a Comment