Thursday 3 December 2015

Manga Review: Nana by Ai Yazawa



Title: Nana
Original Title: NANA
Author: Ai Yazawa
Artist: Ai Yazawa

Year of Release: 2000
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Josei, Romance, Slice of Life, Tragedy

Status: Hiatus
Chapters (Translated in English): 84

Volumes & Chapters: 

21 Volumes in Total



Summary


Nana "Hachi" Komatsu hopes that moving to Tokyo will help her make a clean start and leave her capricious love life behind her. Nana Osaki, who arrives in the city at the same time, has plans to score big in the world of rock 'n' roll. Although these two young women come from different backgrounds, they quickly become best friends in a whirlwind world of sex, music, fashion, gossip, and all-night parties!

My Thoughts


Review covers 84 chapters 


Hello everyone, and welcome back to Katie’s Corner! Today I’m having a work, which has been on a hiatus since 2009. To say the truth in the very beginning of the story I got very bored, but I just wanted to know what really happened so I continued to read it. And oh my, I loved this story. I hate that the author hasn’t been writing, but she has her problems, therefore I can only guess what happened in the end of the story. But let me tell you why I both loved and hated this story.

This story is very realistic; I could even say it’s too realistic. The way the characters interact, live, the way their story or love develops. I have read similar stories, if you take Aoki Kotomi’s stories; they have these same feelings, the premonition that something bad is going to happen. It doesn’t help that the story is narrated with the tone of regret. As if we are reading a journal or something like that. And the feeling gets worse when we get to the future flashbacks, or if we say it correctly the whole story is a one big past flashback and the so called future moments are the real present time. But let me introduce you to our characters.

If you have read the summary you know that the story is focused on two girls, who share the same name, but their lives are absolutely different. However, they become best friends and they will have to overcome many difficulties together. Osaki Nana – a musician, a singer who is in love with the guitarist of a very popular band – Ren. If you ask me she’s the worst character ever, I mean she’s selfish: she wants to be with Ren, but at the same time doesn’t want Nana to leave her side and be with Takuma and the worst is that she wants Yasu to always be in love with her. She’s too self-centered and she just destroys everything in her life. Especially if my hypothesis is correct and the relationship between Nana (Hachi) and her first kid was ruined because of her. But let me talk about mother Nana – Nana Komatsu. In the beginning I thoughts she was plain stupid, I thought so even until the middle of the story, but somehow I changed my opinion of her. Mostly I didn’t get why she still stayed with Takuma, if she knew what an infantile person he was. But then I thought, she really did love him and no matter what you think Takuma did love her. He didn’t know how to handle women, he also cheated, but in the end he did return to her. What I really loved about him were his words when he thoughts that Nana was pregnant. I mean before, about a chapter ago he was so against kids, but as soon as he was in front of the fact he didn’t care if the kid was his or another guy’s he may not be an ideal man, for that he would need to understand women, but he was perfect in some ways.

The story is full of sadness and love, especially unfulfilled but at the same time fulfilled love. It makes you wonder if the life is really like that. You get to meet many different characters, and remember that all of them are damaged in some ways. Will they be able to become whole or will they get more damaged in the end? That’s for you to find out, as this story us fantastic in its way. You might get bored and confused, as there are many character and they talk a lot. I mean that they talk too much sometimes! Don’t forget that this story is on a hiatus, so when you are left hanging on the 84th chapter, do not shout, I told you! But I do recommend you to read it. As I believe this story is one of the best realistic mangas I have ever read. Also if you have already read it, please, write your thoughts about what you think happened after the last chapter.

Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below! Stay tuned for more reviews as well as promos! Don’t miss your next favourite book or manga. Happy reading!

XOXO

Katie

Rating



No comments:

Post a Comment