Friday 17 April 2015

Book Review : Tears of Abandon by Oliver Phipps




Summary (from Goodreads)

Title: Tears of Abandon

Author: Oliver Phipps

Publication Date: 2 May, 2014

Publisher: Gray Door

GoodreadsAmazon – Barnes & Noble






Summary:


Several college friends start planning a two week kayak trip down an Alaskan river during late summer 1992. Soon there are five young people headed to Alaska for a river expedition. 

As the trip unfolds and the group gets farther into the wilderness a strange whispering sound attracts their attention. The wonderful vacation begins to take a turn for the worse when they follow the sounds and find something long lost and quiet unexpected. 

This thrilling story from the author of The House on Cooper Lane and Twelve Minutes till Midnight has it all, Alaska, ghosts and gold.


My Thoughts:


Hello everyone and welcome back to Katie’s Corner! Today I have another book by Oliver Phipps. This is the second book that I’ve read by Oliver Phipps. The first one was A Tempest Soul. Tears of Abandon is absolutely amazing book. It hooked me up from the first pages and I couldn’t stop reading until I finished it. The style of writing and the language of the book makes the reader feel as if he/she is inside the book, rather just being a solely observer. Oliver Phipps doesn’t just state something, but he makes small arrangements here and there, tells us small details, keeping us on the thin line between the truth and our own imagination. And even in the end he just leaves the ending open, so we can think of our own ending, to give our imagination a stepping-stone to interpret every mystery how we like.

I enjoyed the book for many reasons: definitely for its description of wilderness and the human nature. I really liked how the author portrayed the characters. Every one of them was interesting n a way. And when the things turned to the worse everyone showed their true nature. From some you expected no less, but it still shocks you how some people act in different situations. The way Phipps describes Alaska, or just nature, makes you see it right in front of you.

It may be only me, but whenever I’m reading suspense or a mystery. And if there is either ghost town or gold hunting involved, my imagination starts working on it own, drawing conclusions, making hypothesis as to why this or that happened and a lot of “What if”-s. Somewhere in the middle of the book the book this whole process started, and then because I spooked myself with my theories I had to stop otherwise I was going to start seeing all those ghost in real life. Okay getting back to the story.

Are you a fan of a mystery story, which spooks you a lot and leaves you with a feeling that everything just told is real? Were you just planning to go kayaking in Alaska? Or you just want something short to read but with a good style and a great quality? Well, this book is just for you! Find yourself in a quite a mismatching company of friends. Stay with them though their journey down the Alaskan river, and find yourself lost and confused in a lost city. Are you reading for this kind of adventure? Grab your copy now; get a comfortable chair a cup of hot tea or coffee and indulge yourself in this amazing work by Oliver Phipps.

I hope you will find some time to read this amazing book. Enjoy it to its fullest and don’t forget to share your thoughts below. Stay tuned for more reviews and promos. And I am definitely soon reviewing another book by Oliver Phipps very soon! Happy reading!

XOXO


Katie


My Rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment